The Grumman G-21A, serial 1048, in the National Aeronautical Collection of the National Air and Space Museum was built in 1938 for the Venezuela Oil Development Branch of the Asiatic Petroleum Company. It was delivered on December 10 without luxury appointments but with cactus-proof tires for operation in remote areas.
It was later sold and flown in Ecuador until 1951 when it was returned to Grumman, refurbished with soundproofing and a camera door, and repainted. In 1954 this aircraft was acquired by Chalk's Flying Service and flown out of Miami, Florida, to the Bahamas. On February 22, 1977, it was acquired by Air Catalina where it flew regular air service between Long Beach and San Pedro to Catalina Island, California. In December 1982, the aircraft was transferred to Warbirds West and eventually acquired by the Naval Aviation Museum, which in turn transferred the title to the National Air and Space Museum on June 30, 1983. The aircraft was then restored by Bueler Aviation Research of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and placed on display in the Hall of Air Transportation in 1989.
To return to the previous page, close this window.