Golden West Airlines began operating the Catalina route in 1968, after Catalina Airlines ceased operations the same year. Golden West Airlines was already operating a busy commuter airline service flying to destinations throughout Southern California when they aquired the Catalina Airlines Grumman Goose fleet. The owner of Golden West Airlines was Bill Perera and later the California Westgate Corporation.
Golden West Airlines Fleet:
Grumman Goose: N1133, N322, N329, N324, N93G.
DeHaviland Twin Otters
Shorts Brothers model 330
DeHaviland Dash 7s
Captain Clarence Jasper poses with N322 at Long Beach Airport. Clarence Jasper joined the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1940, and in 1943 he was assigned to combat flight duties in England with a DeHaviland Mosquito squadron. He shot down six German planes, destroyed four planes on the ground and destroyed three V-1 buzz bombs in the air, earning him the Distinguished Flying Cross. Photo courtesy of Fred Austin lll
Golden West Airlines N1133 c/n #B-59 at Long Beach Airport. Photo courtesy of Peter de Groot and Airliners.net
N322 c/n B-73 in Avalon Harbor, 1971.
N322 at Long Beach Airport, 1972. N1133 is seen in the background. Photo by Chris Bell
N93G c/n 1130 at Long Beach Airport, 1972.
Photo by Chris Bell
Air Catalina began it's operation in 1974 after aquiring most of the Catalina Seaplanes Goose fleet. With a new blue on white paint scheme and flying fish logo on the nose, the new airline operated year round from Long Beach Airport and San Pedro. The owner of the airline was Jackson Hughes.